Software Tester ANZSCO 261314
Software Tester ANZSCO 261314 specifies, develops and writes test plans and test scripts, produces test cases, carries out regression testing, and uses automated test software applications to test the behavior, functionality and integrity of computer software, and documents the results of tests in defect reports and related documentation.
Skill level: 1
- Software Tester
Skills Assessment Authority
- Software Tester is on the following skill lists:
- Short-Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)
- RSMS Occupations List (RSMSL)
- Combined Skilled Occupations List (STSOL MLTSSL)
- Labor Market Testing Required for 457 List (LMTL)
- Medium Long Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)
As the occupation features on the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL), it is possible to apply for a Skilled Nominated 190 visa or a Skilled Regional Nominated 489 visa.
If you are employed in this occupation and you wish to pursue a GSM visa, you will be required to apply for state nomination in order to move to Australia.
Note: While the occupation is on the STSOL it remains a possibility that no states currently have a demand for people in that profession. The online assessment only lists occupations which are currently in demand by a state or territory in Australia, so if the occupation does not appear on the online assessment you should consider seeking an employer sponsor in Australia.
Unit Group: 2613 Software and Application Programmers
The job of a Software Tester in Australia is to specify, develop and write test plans and test scripts, produce test cases, carry out regression testing, and use automated test software applications to test the behavior, functionality and integrity of computer software, and document the results of tests in defect reports and related documentation.
- researching, consulting, analyzing and evaluating system program needs
- identifying technology limitations and deficiencies in existing systems and associated processes, procedures and methods
- testing, debugging, diagnosing and correcting errors and faults in an applications programming language within established testing protocols, guidelines and quality standards to ensure programs and applications perform to specification
- writing and maintaining program code to meet system requirements, system designs and technical specifications in accordance with quality accredited standards
- writing, updating and maintaining technical program, end user documentation and operational procedures
- providing advice, guidance and expertise in developing proposals and strategies for software design activities such as financial evaluation and costing for recommending software purchases and upgrades
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience and/or relevant vendor certification may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Occupations in this Group
- 261311 Analyst Programmer
- 261312 Developer Programmer
- 261313 Software Engineer
- 261314 Software Tester
- 261399 Software and Applications Programmer (nec)
- IELTS result with a minimum score of 6 (L, R, W), 7 in speaking and 7 overall;
- OET result with a minimum grade B in all sections;
- TOEFL iBT with a minimum score (L:12 R:13 W:21 S:23 overall L93);
- PTE Academic with a minimum score of 50 (L, R, W), 65 in speaking and 65 overall
- Australian Graduate Exceptions apply in some states/territories
- Priority Skilled Lists may apply a specific requirement in some states/territories
- Countries exempt from submitting IELTS or OET include the UK; Canada; New Zealand; US; and Ireland
- Where mandatory licensing or registration is required you must demonstrate a level of English either sufficient to meet licensing / registration or a minimum IELTS, or equivalent, whichever is higher.
Closely Related Core ICT Units
- Algorithm design and development
- Data structures
- Formal languages
- Operating systems
- Programming (application and/or system)
- Software Engineering
- Testing strategies and methods
Software testers are detect and track software defects and inconsistencies and also involved in the quality assurance stage of software development and deployment. They identify test conditions and create test designs, test procedure specifications and test data, test cases, and may automate or help to automate the tests. Software Tester role is conducting testing as per the set standards and procedures and analyze results by executing test cases either manual or automated. They provide quality assurance and also provide objective feedback to software development project teams. They also perform tasks like trouble shooting and problem solving and design tests to mitigate risk.
Additional Closely Related ICT Units
- Artificial intelligence
- Automata theory
- Business Information Systems
- Business Process Reengineering
- Computer Science
- Database design
- Database implementation
- Human Computer Interaction
- Introduction to BIS
- Introduction to ICT
- Management Information Systems
- Object oriented technologies
- Project Management
- Quality management
- Requirements gathering
- Software validation
- System Design
- Systems Analysis
- Web engineering
Software Tester execute system, integration, and regression for testing to identify the issues and problems. As a result, software tester identify bugs in software product/project. The software tester plan projects,monitor applications and software systems.They also carry out stress testing, performance testing, functional testing and scalability testing Software tester main tasks are writing and executing test scripts and running manual and automated tests. They test in different environments including web and mobile and also write bug reports.